A comprehensive three-year curriculum will equip you as a resident, teaching you the skills you need for successful practice. Our program allows adequate flexibility to develop enhanced training and experience in your areas of personal interest. Our residents will develop expertise in population health and will understand the challenges and dynamics of serving rural, medically underserved populations. We are committed to model and to teach balance in our professional and personal lives as faculty and to include a longitudinal curriculum on physician wellness.
Our goal is to produce excellent, independent practitioners, who will be advocates for their patients and will be professional leaders in their hospitals and communities.
Our osteopathic training track produces outstanding family physicians who effectively integrate Osteopathic practice and principles including Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM) for better patient care.
This track is designed to prepare residents to:
- Effectively and efficiently integrate Osteopathic Practice and Principles into primary care clinical practice
- Continue to develop their Osteopathic diagnostic and treatment skills
- Provide hands-on OMM care to patients in an out-patient setting
- Understand the role of OMM within a comprehensive pain management program
The Osteopathic training track includes:
- Monthly didactic sessions
- Weekly hands-on OMM training sessions
- Precepted OMM resident continuity clinic
- Osteopathic-related case presentations
- Option for an OMM rotation elective
- Inclusion of Osteopathic milestones in resident competency evaluations
A resident can elect to do additional rotations during years two or three working with our North Country Obstetrics team in Flagstaff and with our partners in rural sites.
This track prepares residents to:
- Autonomously manage both low and high risk antepartum, intrapartum and postpartum patients
- Obtain the skills and confidence to manage labor and delivery in a remote or rural area
- First-assist in low and high risk Cesarean Sections
- Communicate clearly and thoroughly with Obstetric teams when needed
The Obstetrics training track includes:
- Additional time managing the labor and delivery floor in the hospital
- Additional time working in the prenatal clinic, both low and high risk pregnancies
- Work with Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Maternal Fetal Medicine and Family Planning
- Work with Planned Parenthood if desired
- Additional Obstetric Ultrasound training
We have partnered with The Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine at The University of Arizona in Tucson to include 140 hours of required online module coursework during training.
This curriculum is revised regularly to provide up to date, evidence-based, Integrative Medicine content. Links to relevant, evidence-based, peer-reviewed publications are standard and modules often incorporate novel online interactive teaching strategies. This well-established curriculum has been adopted by over 100 residency programs in the U.S.
Residents complete modules online at their own pace during years 2 and 3; approximately 70 hr per year. Time for completion of online modules is built into resident schedules. Other in-person elements of this curriculum occur during didactic conference sessions during all years of training.
For more information, click here.
This curriculum prepares residents to:
- Understand the basic principles of a variety of integrative modalities that the majority of patients seek out
- Be able to counsel patients about the safety and effectiveness of integrative therapies and to how to combine those with conventional medicine
- Focus on their own health and wellness to support a healthy balance of their personal and professional life
The Integrative Medicine curriculum includes:
- 24/7 access to high quality, current integrative medicine content developed by the Integrative Medicine Program at The University of Arizona, Tucson
- Integrative Approaches to Pain Management, Physician Wellbeing, Nutrition, Vitamins, minerals, and common botanical supplements, Energy Medicine, Mind-Body techniques and tools, and many other topics
- Content that aligns with learning objectives within the ACGME core competency and Milestone domains